- A minimum of 3 years of work experience as a professional Scientific or Technical Writer. Scientific or technical writing and editing college courses can count for up to one year of work experience.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills including ability to listen attentively and to communicate information clearly and effectively with a variety of subject-matter experts and project contributors.
- Research, write, translate, and edit science communication material for broad audiences based on knowledge of resources and issues related to civil engineering or similar disciplines.
- Manage workloads effectively while maintaining good working relationships with BIA staff, contract staff, partners, and vendors.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, collaborative, and relationship-building skills; ability to interact positively with teammates at all levels.
- Demonstrated strengths in organizational, attention-to-detail, reasoning, critical thinking, and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of the principles, concepts, and practices of scientific writing and editing, including documented skills in writing and editing technical documents.
- Knowledge of publishing methods to analyze, interpret and integrate information into a variety of formats (print, digital, and Web) suitable for publication and public media.
- Knowledge of the application of principles, practices, and methods of English composition to revise material for better understanding by a target audience.
- Expert ability in MS Office (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Proficiency in MS Outlook or Gmail, and MS SharePoint (or other collaborative tools).
- Familiarity with common writing and editing style manuals or guides.
- Minimum: Associate degree in natural resources, science, engineering, technical communications, or related field. Optional/Preferred: B.S. in engineering or related natural resource field.
Environment (Working conditions):
This position will be mostly stationary requiring some movement around the office and frequent communication with others. The average working hours will be 8 hours per day for this position. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.